Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) V
View Single Post
06-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Originally Posted by
Anyhow, to properly respond to your post, to be nice and to actually give you an explanation, this is a terrible trade for the following reasons:
1) Letang is a UFA in 2014, you're giving up a lot for a player who is going UFA in one year.
2) In the short-term, it is not clear that Letang is *that much* better than Markov. Letang had more points, yes, but he gets a lot of points off Crosby and Malkin. Whereas Letang
the Penguins powe play, Markov
the Canadiens power play, he is the general, not the lieutenant. Markov is also better defensively, and he had to recover from a three-year absence.
3) By the time Letang becomes indisputably and omprehensively superior to Markov, Beaulieu may be on par with Letang. Beaulieu has progressed quite well in his development, excellent post-draft year in the OHL, and excellent first year in the AHL. Quite frankly, I wouldn't do Markov+Beaulieu straight up for Letang. I'd consider Markov+Beaulieu for Letang+1st to be a lateral move.
4) Why are you excited by Tom Kühnhackl? He was a 4th rounder in the 2010 draft. As a forward, two years after his draft year, he scored 29 points in 34 OHL games, that's not good.
5) On top of that, you want to throw in our best offensive prospect (Collberg) and a 1st rounder in a very deep draft. If we do this trade, we will have a completely depleted farm system (best forward prospect gone, best defense prospect gone, 1st rounder gone).
I'll tell you what I'm willing to offer for Kris Letang relative to what he would cost: Nothing. He isn't what we need.
We already have Markov, Subban, Diaz, on the pro roster, and we have Beaulieu and Nygren among the prospects. The Habs are covered in the department of defenseman who contribute to the offense. We have that nailed. This is not the area where we need to sacrifice strength to build on. It's not one of our weaknesses. On top of that, Letang is overrated from playing with Crosby and Malkin, and is going UFA in 1 year.
You realize you may have just caused the world to explode, right? We are 100% in agreement on this. How is that for scary...lol.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Drydenwasthebest