Old
06-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Total drivel and a garbage post.

I'd somewhat agree if you were trying to argue that Gorges was overpaid or something but to totally and disingenuously ignore defensive qualities when assessing a d-man is inexcusable. Either you're blind, a fool or intentionally withholding those points - in either case, you're totally wrong and ignorant of reality.

For the record: I hated Hamrlik and his contribution to the team. At his cap hit (at the time) and usage, I found that he wasn't bringing half of what his contemporaries offered for the same hit. I called him fat, cowardly, lazy and so on. Thing is, while he didn't bring any physicality, crease-clearing or point play, and while he constantly lazily chipped the puck out instead of making a play - his positional game was 2nd to none on our team. I just wanted more because the man was playing 20-25 minutes a night and murdering any chance at a transition game.

But with today's cap and our team structure, with PK, Markov and Diaz - Gorges' contribution is different.

Gorges is a fully defensive defenseman, and time and time again it's been shown that defensive defenseman are hard to assess and their contribution even harder to quantify.

His positioning, timing, stick work and awareness are what you should be talking about. And if you knew a thing about hockey you'd know that Gorges is a pretty damn good dman with all those considerations.

He doesn't lose the play like Bouillon, he doesn't jump into the lane too early like Markov, etc. He was just exposed by Therien's awful defensive system but honestly, so was everybody else.

I'm on my phone at the moment so I won't delve into it too much but Gorges today is definitely our 3rd best dman. He brings much stability and time crunching to our sorry d-corps and I'd trust him out there over Diaz, Emelin or the rest of the smurf kingdom any day.
You bring up positioning, timing stick work and awareness. Still... You can say EXACTLY the same thing about a guy like Hal Gill. One could say that Gill was even better with his stick work. He kept breaking all of those plays solely based on that - and his long reach. How much did he get per season. How many years did he get on each of his contracts?

Gill spent his entire career playing no more than 2 or 3 years on the same contract. He was making in the low 2M.

Plus, can we even say positioning and timing is always top notch? He's very, very often getting out of position to block shots, which often plays turn on his and his team. You bring up awareness... The guy is NEVER keeping the blueline in the offensive zone. He NEVER bets. Very often, loose pucks high in the offensive zone that could be easily fetched by a d-man are not, because Gorges is too slow to win close races to the puck, too weak physically to outmuscle the other guy, and is even lower than the red line to compensate for those weaknesses.

Not only is Gorges having all of those limitations in his game, he's not even bringing all of those supposed qualities with regularity. Last season, in what was a very good year for this team overall, Gorges looked extremely weak.

The year before, he had an average year in what is a 28th ranked team in the league.

Still, people say Gorges is a very valuable part of our team. I do not agree. Fact is, he could be replaced by a lot of d-men in the UFA market pretty much every single season, and the team wouldn't look far worst. For all the **** Therrien's system gets on these boards, we still have career years from guys like Emelin and Subban, and a guy like Markov looking helpless in both the KHL and the NHL last season in March/April, looked much better last season. Bouillon also wasn't half as bad as this board makes him out to be, playing up to the level he's supposed to at 1.5M/1 year; one of an "OK" 3rd pairing d-man.

But people here won't make me say Gorges is a total necessity to this team's success. Never. He's replacable, and at 4M for each of the 5 more years, I'd even say he's a player I'd part with to spend more on more useful players, while replacing him with a similar player for half the price.

People keep *****ing and crying about Subban, who'll get Drew Doughty money and even more. You CAN pay this price for a franchise d-man who proved his worth... as long as you don't pay people like Gorges 4M for "awareness", which in fact is him backing up to the defensive zone without any question because he knows he has none of the tools to win any puck race/puck battle against the average NHL player.