View Single Post
Old
06-16-2013, 04:12 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Thanks for the analysis, only hope now is that the Pens can acquire some draft picks.
I hope so, too. Brooks Orpik for 2013 2nd + prospect/2013 4th/2013 3rd anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Okay so Ray Shero said acquiring Jussi Jokinen didn't cost anything, so I'm assuming they don't get our pick. So the Penguins current Draft picks are...
It was speculated by people in the media (i.e. TSN trade deadline show) that Jim Rutherford had many takers for J. Jokinen at a reduced salary, but that he traded him to PIT in part because J.R. is known for trading players to places where he thinks they'll be happy/be a good fit.

So, it follows that there should be other teams interested in JJ. When you also factor in how well he performed in terms of #s in the reg. season for us, and the fact that we can now trade him for $2.1 instead of $3 million, I think that not only would there be a number of takers for him, but I believe that we can get more for him than we paid for him. Not necessarily substantially more, mind you, but I certainly believe we could trade him for a 4th or 5th at the draft, which is a nice improvement on the 6th we gave up for him.

(and I absolutely think there is no way we should keep him for next season at $2.1 million under any circumstance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Some people I've asked seem to think so, but does anyone think Shero will acquire more picks in salary cap dump trades?
I certainly hope so. We need to be like Chicago in 2010, with the only difference being that we didn't win the Cup, of course. I would like to re-sign Iggy, but if we can't retain him or Morrow or Murray, then let's trade their rights for whatever we can get for them. I would also part with Orpik and/or Niskanen, and Kennedy if we are not going to retain him (I still think we need to re-sign one of TK or Iginla). I'm not expecting much for the rights for guys like Murray/Morrow (and we may want to retain them), but we could get substantial returns for rights to Iggy, Kennedy, and possibly even pulling the trigger on trades for D-prospects that we think may not fit with us in the future (i.e. Samuelsson, and possibly one of our higher-end guys)