View Single Post
Old
06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
leftwinger37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I'm curious how many of you have or have had to deal with teammates that were extremely confident in their abilities. How do you approach the situation?

One of our teammates is quite good, can stick handle very well, and scores a lot of goals for us. I should add that while i think he could play up a level, i don't think hes head and shoulders better, or too good to be playing in our level. My issue is that I feel the reason he scores so much is because he rarely passes the puck. He'd rather try to go through 3 players than take a chance passing to a pretty open teammate. He also tends to take quite long shifts. I fully believe this is because he is quite good, believes he is good, doesn't trust some of us and thinks we have a better chance at scoring if he is on the ice and/or takes it himself. He's a really good guy, its just frustrating to watch from D sometimes and i don't know if i should approach it, or how to go about saying something.

Anyone have any experience with a situation like this?
The problem is that he knows how valuable his contributions are. Even guys who are otherwise solid characters off the ice can have this "you need me" type of mentality. Regardless of what he brings to the table this is a team game and no one player can do it all themselves.

Although cliche, sometimes you have to bust out the old "we all pay the same amount" line when it comes to the ice time issue.

As for the selfish play, I would acknowledge how valuable he is to the team, but strees that everyone else is buying into the team philosophy, and in order for him to do that, he has to trust his teammates more. Growing up, guys with a lot of skill are leaned on quite a bit by their coaches and sometimes in the name of winning, their abilities are put in front of what is fair to the rest of the guys on the team. Unfortunately, these kids grow up to be men with an over-inflated sense of self importance; point being that this may not be something he's doing conciously.

There should be no harm in approaching him and talking to him respectfully about it. If he reacts to constructive criticism/feedback negatively, you know that you tried and you will learn what type of a person he really is... And maybe that person isn't the best fit for your team.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote