View Single Post
Old
06-17-2013, 10:46 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
So you have the 8th overall pick. And you need defense, so you select Sean Couturier instead of Dougie Hamilton. And now the rumors are flying that you may trade Couturier ++ for another team's older defenseman. That bothers me.

We have one of, if not the most (with Streit), expensive D in the league. Why's that? Because we continually pay for other teams' defensemen. Can't keep living and surviving that way.
The biggest problem isn't the drafting as much as it's the constant upheaval and what seems to be a lack of direction on management's part. Every off season, Holmgren is always making big wholesale changes. There's a lack of patience with everyone involved and it's either blow things up or go for the quick fix. As a result, you see the mess that the Flyers have.

I also blame a lot of the mess on Peter Laviolette and his refusal to adopt any sort of system that places any sort of defensive structure with the forwards. It's funny how when Zherdev was here, he threw him under a bus for not being a good defensive player, yet I look at the team in it's current state and Zherdev is no worse than some of the forwards currently on the club and the fact that Laviolette continually allows guys to get away with not playing defense. That's what partially makes the defense look much worse than what it really is.