View Single Post
Old
06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
ChesterNimitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
What do you mean by upside? I think you underrate Rychel due to his name, and the fact he'll fight.

Make no mistake bout it, Rychel has every bit the upside of all those players you mentioned. He has consistent 30+ goals a year upside, all while being rugged. How many rugged consistent 30 goal scorers are there in the NHL?
My assessment is based solely on my watching him on film. Rychel has modest skating ability. He has heavy feet and almost no quickness. At the NHL level he will not be able to create the space nor time he needs to get away his shot. His lack of quickness will prevent him from being effective on the forecheck and unable to carry out his defensive responsibilities. He will spend his first 2 to 3 years in the AHL after which many on this board will be asking how we could a draft player of his obvious limitations in one of the deepest drafts in twenty years. Rychel's top end will be as a 3rd line player who at best, may, just may, reach Ryder's level of play and production. Perhaps that may be good enough in other draft years. But in this draft, that is certainly not swinging for the fences. It will be interesting to see if Rychel is even invited to Team Canada's summer assessment camp. With his skating ability, I doubt he'll get an invite, and even if he does, there's no way he makes the team. If this occurs, it will be the biggest indictment as to the folly of choosing him so high in this excellent draft. Most of the other players I mentioned will make and be starring for their respective national teams. Rychel is a future journeyman who's skill set can be easily acquired through free agency.