View Single Post
Old
06-18-2013, 08:29 AM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
This is a great, succinct analysis of Streit's deal within that list of contracts. I would just add that, of that list, how many are considered to be good deals? For two, Carle's was horrible from the start and he's rumoured to be an amnesty candidate, and Wisniewski's was met with wide-eyed stares when it was struck. Plus, it's not just the player and the deal but the team making it. Which of the deal-making clubs currently have a red number on capgeek under cap space? Okay, that was facetious, but fewer will bat eyelashes when an otherwise cap-comfortable team decides on overpaying for a couple of contracts. With our dear squad, you'd think the NHL were taking cap space directly out of Paul Holmgren's children's piggy banks.

To quote a small, out-of-context part of dats81's post "The good thing is that we have a generous owner and a GM who will do anything to win." Unfortunately, "anything" isn't allowed anymore. There is a cap ceiling and a whole lot of other rules about salaries on a team.
Right but who determines a good deal? I think Malkins deal is horrible and no one is worth that much to a team outside of hank. Obviously the contracts are pretty set for a dman scoring that many pts a year. Just a question if you want to pay that much for one. I'd rather not. This deal will hamper us in a few years. The only way we get out of it is if streit is hurt and goes on LTIR in a few years which is obviously not cool to root for so we just suck it up.

At least we know we will be better next year and make the playoffs with this and our draft pick additions plus Laughton. The obvious down fall comes when we have to resign our young guys which very well could be all stars by then