Old
06-18-2013, 09:48 AM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Should I be excited about Corban Knight at all?
no, he's great on face-offs though for whoever he signs with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Oilers will probably get him, they're like a UFA prospect dream land, hopefully Kristo can convince him otherwise. Literally no one close to a big RH center with good faceoff/defensive ability in the organization + Dany Kristo chemistry/familiarity.
The talk I heard was the flames, as his dad works for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ference is a pretty good comparable IMHO... but the difference is that Ference seems like a pretty clever guy in general, and was able to apply his edgy-despite-not-being-big style in conjunction with his on-ice intelligence to actually keep progressing in offense and eventually becoming useful defensively. Jury out on whether Thrower can eventually develop the same way or not, but I don't know if people are too optimistic about his hockey IQ heading into that process?

I don't feel like it's the popular choice here (?) but it's why I'd like to see him back in junior next year. Don't throw too much at him at once. He'll have a fresh start on a new team, and see if he can re-assert himself in the WHL ranks and take his offense back up to where it was, while working on his decision-making as well, but not all at the same time as suddenly facing the bigger/faster pro competition in the AHL/ECHL.
I don't recall watching Ference in the dub so I can't compare them, but my problem with Thrower is his decision making with the puck in his own end as he seems to make a number of mental mistakes which is a red flag although not un-common for offensively minded defensemen. What I really like is the grit/physical game he brings along with the offense.

As for going back to the dub, actually I think most want him to, as I may be one of the few that does not like to see overagers in the CHL, would much rather see him in the ECHL against older players then playing against 16/19 year olds mostly. I'm glad the Habs never do this, although in the case of Thrower it is different since if he was born 12 days later he would be forced back to the WHL. But with 243 games in the dub already, I'd rather see what the Habs staff could do with him under their watch (maybe he picked up bad habbits in the dub, I really didn't start to follow him until this past season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I guess he was a good gamble to take at that position.

As for Corban Knight, I'd bet we'd have a good chance to sign him if he indeed becomes a UFA, but I can't see why his rights will not get traded (or did he say he wants to become a UFA?). I have no idea what we should give up to get them.
It would be interesting to hear what Timmins has to say, since he picked him at 51st overall. But I'd say it was a good gamble, since as a 17 year old turning 18 mid-season, he 18 goals, 54 points and 103 pims which is some impressive numbers for sure. It's too bad he struggled to repeat those numbers, going to be very interesting to see how it goes for him next year.

As for Knight, he calls the shots as he can refuse to sign with any team and become a UFA on August 15th.