Thread: Speculation: Trading Vanek
View Single Post
Old
06-18-2013, 04:19 PM
sonnEbunny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Deal with it. You just sold Pominville for draft picks. If Miller and Vanek were going to be a part of the core of the cup team, you'd have kept Pominville to play with them. Trading your captain and best all around two-way player for guys who won't be impact players for at least 5 years broadcasts loud and clear that you're not looking to contend for a while. Unless the goal is to tread water, it makes no sense to hang on to your other valuable players just to tread a little higher. It hurts you in the draft, deprives you of future returns, and they'll be forgettable players by the time you're back in the conversation. As soon as the Pominville deal happened, we were either all in on the rebuild or we just made a huge mistake. And now you can't take back the Pominville trade, so you'd better get all in on the rebuild.
If we are five years away from competing for a cup Vanek will be 34 and will still be a very good player in this league. I'm sure you are aware that every contending team needs veteran players to make a run at the cup, I would really hope that Vanek will be that guy for us. However, I would let him go if the right deal was presented then, look to add a vet later down the road in free agency. As far as Miller is concerned I do hope they can find a trade partner for him, he is a little older than Vanek and I think Enroth and Hackett could step in nicely next year. The potential drop off in performance will be welcomed as we want the highest draft position possible. Extend Vanek and acquire what we can for Miller while he is under contract.

I think moving up to #3 is the best case scenario for Buffalo, we make fewer sacrifices in the short-term while preserve much of our prospect pool and get a potential franchise defining talent(Drouin for me). 8+Sekera for #5 then, work some sort of package around 5 and Foligno for #3. Carolina gets their immediate help on D and drops back a couple spots where Monahan could still be available. Tampa drops back while still being able to choose between Barkov and Nichushkin, they are also gaining a young power forward in Foligno. Yes we lose a couple of nice pieces but we will likely be able to hold onto 16 and we get one of the best talents in the draft. Possibly trade up from 16 for defensive help...?

Future Outlook:
Drouin-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Grigorenko-Armia
Ott-Girgensons-Larsson
Tropp-Kea-xxx

Ehrhoff-Risto
Myers-Pysyk
McCabe-McNabb

Hackett/Enroth

Add in prospects/FAs over the next couple years and I'm really liking our team.

sonnEbunny is offline   Reply With Quote