Thread: Speculation: Trading Vanek
View Single Post
Old
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
SoFFacet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I absolutely think it's better to get value back for Vanek now (while it's high) and then, like you said, seek to find those character players at age 34 when we get there (and they're cheaper than what we'll get for Vanek now). After all, if we don't deal present value out to get futures back, we may never end up in that enviable position to begin with, wherein we just want to find a 35 year old vet to push us over the top.
I think that Vanek will be an effective player for a lot longer than most people think. He takes a beating but very little of his game is based on grinding along the wall or torching the D with speed or moves. He has those things and flashes them sometimes but thats not the core of what he does. He's primarily a hands guy that specializes in deflections, rebounds, and close-range corner-picking. I think unless he has a major wrist injury he will still be a good player until his late 30s.

As exhibited by the Bruins and Kings, the dominant strategy in playoff hockey is (once again) to take away all methods of scoring besides the rebound and the deflection. Seeing as how those are Vanek's specialties, and given my belief that he will still be a good player by the time the rest of the team is ready, I would really prefer to keep him.

I'm not so sure about how high his trade value is right now anyways. People keep tossing him into trade proposals that only move us up a few slots in the draft.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote