View Single Post
Old
06-18-2013, 08:27 PM
That

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Hey That, I recall Vail being on a hot start at the season, IIRC he was top 3 in scoring in the OHL for a couple weeks, why did his production drop so much as the year went on? Thanks in advance.
At the start, it seemed like everything he touched found it's way in the back of the net. He was definitely getting more than his fair share of bounces. Then Windsor hit a wall, which happened to be right around the same time that Vail's luck dried up. Once his production dropped in November, he still played quite well, but the bounces just weren't going Windsor's way. They only won three games in November, but six of the losses were one goal games. In December, his production started increasing, but that's when his real struggles began. From then on, Vail just really seemed to struggle in nearly every aspect of the game and Windsor started getting absolutely hammered; lots of blowout losses and just as many passengers on the team. It wasn't until the last month or so of the season that Vail got back on track. Weirdly enough, it was him playing defence that seemed to spark that.

In the middle of the season Vail seemed fatigued. At times he struggled to keep up with the play. I didn't watch Windsor very much in Vail's draft year, but I do recall hearing that his conditioning could be a concern. I'm not sure to what extent, but after the mid-season lull, it certainly could have some substance to it. Now of course it could just be linked to the fact that he was basically EVERYTHING for the Spitfires except goaltender. He really was the only two-way top six forward on the ENTIRE team until Khokhlachev returned, which also seems to coincide (somewhat) with Vail's resurgence. He was certainly forced into a role in Windsor this year, was he ready? It certainly seemed like it at the beginning, but there's no doubt it seemed to overwhelm for him as the season progressed.