View Single Post
Old
06-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
If you have Ching above Park, then how do you compare him to Leetch?
Using the same principles (longevity, playoffs, all-star voting) I have Leetch ahead of Johnson.

LONGEVITY

Leetch has 17 years of service to Ching Johnson's 11.

ALL-STAR VOTING

Leetch has two 1ST AST, three 2ND AST, and one 3RD AST
Johnson has three 1ST AST, two 2ND AST, and one 3RD AST
Leetch has two Norrises
Johnson has one Norris (retroactive)

I consider them just about even in this category, but I think Leetch's era was more competitive than Johnson's (Bourque, Chelios, Lidstrom, Stevens, Coffey, Murphy, Pronger, Neidermeyer, MacInnis)

PLAYOFFS

Leetch has the 2nd highest PPG amongst defensemen in playoff history (behind Orr, min 50gp). Not only that, but he elevated offensive output by >20% in the playoffs compared to the regular season. Saying Leetch found another gear in the playoffs in an understatement. He's got that Conn Smythe too. The HHOF promoted a Retroactive Conn Smythe project in which Boucher and Dillon were awarded the Conn Smythes for the two Cups during Johnson's era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
The lack of Norris trophies is kind of a bit frustrating. I know we have AST voting, but it's not the same.
Do you mean the lack of it's existence before 1954? If yes, I found that there is a strong correlation between Norris voting and AST voting during the years where both existed.

Last edited by Crease: 06-18-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote