View Single Post
Old
06-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Briere was just one of many overpaid players given too many years when they already had plenty of centers and never truly lived up to his cap hit. Not his fault of course, but I can't say I'm feeling terrible to see that mistake go. IMO his mistake of a contract was the main issue for their cap problems all of these years.
Whoa. I agree he was a little overpaid up until this season when he became pretty much useless, but he was never an albatross on this team. I'd say he performed about as well as realistically anyone could have hoped for. Some people expected him to be a PPG player, but that was never going to happen. Given the playoff performances he's had and add in the leadership and character he brought, if given the choice I'd still sign him to that deal.

Your point about having too many centers is revisionist history. Its easy to see that now with Richards and Carter. But coming out of the 2007 season, there were legitimate questions whether either would develop into premier players. Entering that offseason, the Flyers not only didn't have a 1st line center, but really didn't have a 2nd line center either.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote