View Single Post
Old
06-18-2013, 10:25 PM
ahthorne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmkrm View Post
Great presentation of stats. Ridiculous analysis of Streit. His value lies in the PP. He is now a 3rd pair D Man at even strength. For goodness sakes - look at his plus/minus!!

He has lost a a step, has virtually no front of net presence and was never physical. This contract is going to a disaster as early as the second part of next yr
We don't really need a front of net presence or a really physical defender. We need somebody who can help with our system of high-paced offense and actually get the puck into the offensive zone for extended periods of time. We need a defender who can feed Giroux, Voracek and our offensive weapons and also convert on the opportunities that they create. Enter, Mark Streit.

A big issue I have with looking at Streit's season in 2012-13 is that he never had a steady partner. Visnovsky-Hickey and MacDonald-Hamonic were together all year but Streit was paired up with the likes of Matt Carkner, Brian Strait, Joe Finley and Radek Martinek all at different points - that screams 3rd pairing defender but his minutes don't at all. Streit saw over 17 minutes a game 5v5 (less than MacDonald and Hamonic and about the same as Visnovsky) and Islanders were pretty good 5v5 on offense, and Mark Streit was always used to generate offense as spent the majority of his shifts with Tavares and Moulson. Consider the same to happen with Giroux and Voracek.

Yes, Streit is a no.1 powerplay guy. Saw huge PP minutes and had a decent amount of PP points. He'll likely be used heavily on the PP here too, but I doubt he sees any PK time. So, Streit's value lies 5v5 and on the PP in an offensive role. This helps the team as some pressure is taken off Timonen and gives him the chance to see more 5v5 time which is particularly why I like the acquisition of Streit. Use Timonen more as a two-way guy and hopefully he stays intact throughout the season. I think our defense is better than the Islanders and if Streit is given a partner like Luke Schenn or Coburn I think he'll be solid. +/- is a dumb stat anyway, especially when the Islanders were one of the worst goaltending teams in the league too, tied with us.