View Single Post
Old
06-19-2013, 11:34 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You're absolutely insane if you don't think management is considering the buyout. Richards has already leaked the possibility publicly. You think that was accidental? How often do you hear a signed player comment on where he might like to play next year if he is amnestied?
You completely misread what I said. I never said I "don't think management is considering the buyout." My words were "I don't think management is considering the buyout of Richards this year as foregone a conclusion as many here seem to believe" which is to say, I think there's a chance he doesn't get bought out.

Even Brooks mentioned it a while back:

Quote:
The change in coaching administrations could alter the Rangers’ decision regarding Brad Richards, who still is far more likely to be an amnesty buyout later this month than a candidate for the club’s first-line center slot when camp convenes in September, but who sure has a better shot at Broadway redemption than he did before coach John Tortorella was dismissed on Wednesday.

Not only would tension abate with the hiring of a new boss who most certainly won’t be like the old boss, the next coach all but certainly will be given input into the alternate captain’s immediate future. If it is at all possible, management and ownership would rather defer the decision on a buyout for a year instead of simply sending Richards away after two seasons — and what would amount to more than $44 million of the Garden’s money — of a nine-year deal that won’t expire until after the 2020-21 season.
I'm not saying I think it's a good idea to keep him or that I actually think they will. I'm saying it's silly to just assume they WILL buy out him when there's a very real possibility they will keep him for next year.