View Single Post
Old
06-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
You give me the impression you've never negotiated a contract before (like in personal employment or on behalf of your business). Its a process. There won't be anything said about it publicly until they're nearly done and agreed to the terms. But to say that is "not doing anything" disrespects Armstrong's role (one which he's shown he's very adept at in recent years).
I agree that it's a process, but until the signatures are on the paper nothing has been done in my eyes. That's just how I am, I want to see results. Are negotiations currently ongoing? I don't doubt it at all, but the reality is that our RFA's haven't been signed and July 5 is creeping up on us. Compare it to hockey, if a player dekes by every defender but doesn't manage to score, did he really do anything? No, he didn't register anything on the score sheet which is ultimately what matters. I will reiterate that I have complete faith in Armstrong, but I'm the type of guy that likes to see things set in stone.

Say, by chance, that Shattenkirk doesn't get signed and come July a team offer sheets him at 6.5 mil. We most likely will not match it and despite the compensation of picks, we lose a key cog in our defense making us a worse team for next season. Sure, Armstrong tried to sign him during the negotiation phase, but in the end he didn't. Should we commend Armstrong for negotiating with him? No, because at the end of the day, his attempts to sign Shattenkirk didn't succeed.

Again, people think I'm saying that Armstrong has just been sitting around watching Sportscenter all day, It's pretty clear to me that my definition of "doing something" is different than the rest of you. I prefer to see results, that's just my opinion. I'm not bashing Armstrong, I know he's the type of GM that handles his affairs patiently, but that's not going to change my viewpoint. People give Armstrong the benefit of the doubt due to his history, and I completely understand where you guys are coming from. My brain isn't wired that way. As far as I'm concerned, until Armstrong makes it public that our RFA's have been signed, he hasn't done anything in my eyes. You guys can argue with me all you want, you're not going to change how my brain works.

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote