Thread: Rumor: Kris Letang on the block?
View Single Post
Old
06-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwag33 View Post

Edler would get half what letang will in a trade.
Lets not go that far. Admittedly, Letang has more value than Edler. But with Letang being 1 year away from UFA status, and Edler being signed long term for below market value, the return for each player would be closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick66 View Post
Actually Letang averages more hits per game over Edler on the past 5 seasons. Just because he is smaller doesn't mean he isn't as physical. If I'm Pens the deal starts at Edler and Gaunce
True, but physicallity can't always be measured in numbers but rather in devastation. Edler is a much more aggressive hitter, but he doesn't do it as often. You usually only see it on occasion, but he does ramp that portion of his game up in big games and the playoffs. I suppose I may be simplifying the term "physicallity" so take it for what you will.

I don't think I'd do the deal with Gaunce added, even though it is likely fair from a value perspective. Often in these 1 for 1 swaps of high calibur players, somebody has to take the "lesser" of the two players. In return, you often get a better contract. Use the Heatley for Havlat deal as an example. Heatley was certainly thought of as the better player, and was one season removed from back to back 39 goal seasons at age 30. He was traded for a Havlat who was thought of as the less skilled player, was the same age, but was worth 2mil less per season.

In a year where the Pens need cap space, I didn't think a 1 for 1 swap would be incredibly far fetched assuming Shero didn't want to downgrade his defense and had a good impression of Edler.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote