View Single Post
Old
06-20-2013, 07:55 AM
NYR89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Let me say this..as someone who works for a NHL team.

You guys with sports management degrees are in for a rude awaking if you think NHL franchises give a **** about that degree.

Sport management is a money-maker for state universities that draws people into their programs. Same thing as the ''fashion-management'' and ''music-management''. Universities grab board topics that young people do as hobbies then offer degrees in that with broad course work and very little real world training.

It's a real simple formula. ''Well.. I like sports/music/fashion so I'm going to get a degree in that. Oh hey, my local university offers a degree in it. Awesome!''

Get a real degree in business. Finance, accounting, economics or even marketing. (Real marketing.. analytic computation, advanced statistics, etc. Not fluff marketing.)

If you want to work for a NHL team you probably have to know someone...and know your stuff like no tomorrow. If you do get a job with the NHL, pray it's a good organization that cares about their employees. A lot of them don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paree87 View Post
I couldn't disagree with this more. I earned a Sport Mgt degree from Umass and I KNOW this helped put me ahead of some other candidates. The key is to find a reputable program (like Umass) and take advantage of the alumni in the field. It's all about networking. The poster is right in that it helps to "know" someone... however I got my job with the Bruins without knowing anyone at all. It can be done.

Where there's a will there's a way. I applied for the Bruins job a few different times, had about 15 total interviews before I was finally accepted.

After one of the times I interviewed and didnt get the job, I asked the hiring manager what exactly I should do between then and the next time the posted the job so that I was a more attractive candidate next time. He told me to get experience on the phones. So I did. I went back months later when the re-posted the position and told him I did exactly what you told me to do. I'm not going away until you give me a shot.

He gave me a shot. The persistence I showed in the hiring process was the same persistence they expected form me as a entry level sales guy.

Since my Bruins days I have moved on to a different part of the sports industry. Having the Bruins on my resume has opened many, many doors for me.

Plus, besides all that, if you love sports and business like I did/do, go to a school with a sport management program. Its a lot of fun. Writing papers about Mike Vick and his marketability doesn't make it seem like "homework" at all. And when you graduate, no matter what your degree is in, you 100% can work in sports if you dont take No for an answer.
I've heard both sides of this argument and it goes both ways. If you have a degree from the reputable schools like Umass, Ohio etc. it can really separate you from the crowd. Otherwise, I'm a firm believer of doing Sport Management and a business degree. It shows that you can handle a bigger workload and gives you a larger business background.

Aside from what your degree is in, it is even more important to rack up experience while in school whether it's through internship(s) or working on campus for your athletic department. You also should look to do some other things that get you in front of people as much as possible to develop people skills. If you can't walk up to random folks, or handle randoms walking up to you, and carry conversation you are most likely going to struggle. I did orientation/tour guiding which helped me immensely.

The sports industry isn't always what people think it is. A lot of times it's a ton of hours for very little pay, but if it's what you like definitely go for it. I've enjoyed every experience I've ever had, even being unpaid in major cities for internships.

At the end of the day, your degree doesn't mean nearly as much as your experience and networking capabilities. Business, communications, PR students etc. can work for a sports team too.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote