View Single Post
Old
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Red Wings would be a good team to model, no argument there. However, that is a lot easier said than done. You realize that in order to run a franchise like the Blackhawks and Kings, you have to be a pretty bad team for a pretty long time. The Kings made the playoffs like five times since 2000. Blackhawks were among the worst franchises in the league for a pretty long time. The Bruins have done a lot of trading and free agent signings, both of youths and of veterans, not unlike the Flyers to a certain extent. The bottom line is simple. We all want perfection, obviously. I want an owner/ceo/gm whatever that is going to be under the cap, keep all draft picks, sign the best contracts, and plan for the future while also being competitive in the here and now. The problem is that is very difficult. Yes, some teams have done it, most notably the Red Wings. But that doesn't mean that Ed Snider is a problem.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for. Say goodbye to Ed Snider and bring in someone from the outside. Then after five straight years of missing the playoffs and not going after big name guys people will be complaining that the new guy doesn't care about winning.
You do not have to suck in order to run a franchise like the Blackhawks or Kings. You need to draft well, and you have to know when it's time to bring in free agents or make a trade.

How long did it take for those teams to reach the playoffs once they got competent GM's? About 3 seasons. That's not a long time at all, especially when the fans can see there is a plan in place. It's when you have a GM like Amaro, who looks like he has no plan, that fan's get itchy. No one wants to suck for a long time, but building through the draft does not equal sucking. The Flyers have been 100% capable of building through the draft with how they pick 1st rounders for a while now, and they're usually picking late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
A smudge mark is not the same as a team coated in smudge. Sorry, I don't want to win the Cup with MacKinnon, Ekblad, and MacDavid as the core pieces. Those three years of absolute failure would cheapen the experience for me.
Are you a Phillies fan?