View Single Post
Old
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The Hawks missed the playoffs nine out of ten times before they started the run they are on now. The Kings missed the playoffs six straight years, and the nine years before that they missed the playoffs five times. How is that not sucking?

The Kings and Blackhawks turned it around, but surely you can't sit there and tell me that the reason they turned it around had to do with a change in management? Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toewes, Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, etc had nothing to do with it. Having such talented guys being on the team was not a symptom of years of lottery picks which led to the improvement of the teams, but rather it was the change in management that did it! Makes total sense!
Did I say they didn't suck? I said once they got competent management, who fyi drafts those players, it took them a couple seasons to get to the playoffs. Because you need to add to those drafted players, otherwise you miss your chance, and wind up in a cycle of constantly developing players, without ever taking a shot at a run.

Here's the Blackhawks first round picks from 95-05:

Dmitri Nabokov, Daniel Cleary, Mark Bell, Steve McCarthy,Mikhail Yakubov, Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk, Brent Seabrook, Jack Skille.

So out of all those picks only Seabrook was important to them. In there they also got Keith and couple other players, but those were in later rounds, when anyone else could have picked them upm,canceling out the fact that the Hawks were picking high. Tallon takes over, Toews and Kane are his picks his first 2 full years as GM. He then brought in young players, as well as established players like Hossa and made a run for the cup.

I said that you don't need to suck in order to build through the draft. The Flyers are one of the best teams at drafting good first round talent. They could build through the draft while still making the playoffs. All they have to do is stop trading their picks away, and shipping important players out.

Richards, Carter, Downie, Giroux, Laughton, Jvr, Sbisa, Couts.

They know how to get players who won't bust. Keeping the core constant and adding to it via trades and FA is the best way to build a winner. That's what the Hawks and Kings did. That's what the Wings and Devils do, that's what the Flyers should do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
If the argument is "I'm old. So tanking would have been okay." No thanks. I understand the pain, however.
I'm not old, and I'm not talking about tanking, I'm talking about balancing the need to make the playoffs every year with the goal of being an actual cup contender instead of being a playoff team. Since 2006 this is the 3rd "core" of players we've had. That's an average lifespan of 2.33 seasons for the supposed core of your team.