View Single Post
Old
06-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Seriously, I thought about it for a nanosecond.

Who are the two people who voted no? Why?
I am the 3rd no. To me this is a clear cut no just as most of you believe this is a clear cut yes.

While Briere's contract wasn't the disaster that the other two centers received that summer, it was the beginning of Holmgren's cap problems. What has constantly been overlooked is that Holmgren had too many dollars committed to the center position and Briere was the most expensive while being the least valuable of their centers. He was their highest paid player while never coming close to being their best player except one year in the playoffs and perhaps his first season here.

It's also overlooked that they did not really need a number 1 center. They were simply too impatient to let Richards and Carter develop after only two seasons in the league. They had a short term problem and fixed it with an expensive long term solution. It was simply bad business in terms of the cap.

I get why why fans are so fond of him because he is a flashy player, but the cap geek in me hated that deal from day one.

Do I do that deal again? Hell no without hesitation. That $6.5M could have gone towards another defender which is what they needed and constantly chased (nothing ever changes). I find it ironic that people ***** about their constant focus on centers instead of defense yet fail to realize how problematic Briere's contract was.

The worst case scenario if they didn't sign Briere is that they would have ended up with Doughty or Stamkos. I don't think there is a person alive that would take him over either of those players.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote