Thread: Sportsnet: Nonis anxious to make moves
View Single Post
Old
06-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Toad

vCash: 500
With Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson and Liles all offensive-minded defencemen (not to mention Rielly waiting in the weeds), I gotta believe that at least one of them will be moved.

Liles would appear to be the most likely (via buyout or otherwise), but it really would not surprise me to see any of them traded (minus Phaneuf) for the right return. I might be a little taken aback should Franson be dealt due to our lack of RHD, but again it depends on what's coming the other way.

I sincerely hope that the Leafs do not move their 1st round pick for an established player - this organization has been burned far too many times with that. I am not against moving up in the draft (provided it is worthwhile, i.e. more than 4 or 5 spots), but I'm completely fine with staying at 21.

If there's one thing that I'd like to see more of, it's drafting, developing, and showcasing our homegrown talent. Insane to think that the last player drafted by the Leafs who led the team in scoring was Damphousse in 1990-91. I believe the only other team that's even remotely close to that feat is the Flames (Stillman, 1998-99). As I've said before, the Leafs really need to stop constantly looking to other teams for their core players/leaders and use the draft to acquire them and create their own identity from within. Seeing guys like Kadri and Reimer play major roles in the teams' turnaround certainly was a good step forward this year, but it needs to continue. There's my rant for the month...hopefully haha.

Nevertheless, it will interesting to see what Nonis does and how much of his own stamp he puts on this team over the next few weeks/months.

Last edited by Toad: 06-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote