View Single Post
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six
vCash: 610
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
I can live with the xboxone original demands and drm, but really, the issue I have with xboxone is the lack of games I care about foreign game developers (primarily from japan).

That said, can someone please explain to me why cloud computing and expandable universes and all that argument for always online only works for xboxone and not ps4? Seeing as how the concept of cloud computing (ie. having all xbox's compute something when it is not busy) isn't even being used as it was mentioned they are using dedicated servers to do it, throwing a wrench in why the xbox even needs to be always online. Unless someone can prove otherwise, everything I read for why its good to have always online (from a users perspective, not corporations) can easily be achieved on the PS4 for users connected to the internet (which is basically a majority when they play a game unless they unplug the internet cord) with little to no extra effort.
My understanding was that the 'always on' functionality had these benefits:

- game/system updates delivered while the console is sleeping, so you avoid booting your system up and finding gawdawful 30 minute system updates (looking at you, PS3) and game updates (looking at you, 360)

- game authentication, so you can play from your hard drive without a disc (still a great idea in my book)

- obviously cloud computing to achieve giant gaming worlds, likely which far more activity than your average MMO or Skyrim

- representing your avatar online for your friends to play with when you're not gaming - I thought this was an incredible idea. A virtual driving me, a virtual fighter me, a virtual NHLer me...this could have been a ton of fun
Serious question that NOBODY has ever answered me (across multiple forums, I seem to get ignored when I bring that up).

The biggest catch is that everybody had to be online all the time to be playing the same current everything, as I understand it. I was quickly warming up to this whole idea, but MS botched the PR. Too bad.