Thread: Rumor: Kris Letang on the block?
View Single Post
Old
06-21-2013, 02:18 AM
LetangInTheSO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimos View Post
Your post is great but the idea that Letang is not the Penguins best defenseman is absurd and really needs to stop. There is this notion here that the only responsibility that a defenseman has is defense. Kris Letang is to defenseman what Patrice Bergeron is to forwards. He is a good defender with elite offensive skills. Bergeron is a good scorer with elite defensive skills.
I think your Letang/Bergeron analogy is interesting and very much on point. With regards to the "who was the Pens' #1 dman" debate, I would concede that it's not as cut/dry as I made it out to be. Here is how I would grade each of them...

Martin:
Defensive Coverage: A
Physicality: B-
Puck Movement/Transition Game: A
PP Ability: A
Offense Output (Overall): A

Letang:
Defensive Coverage: B
Physicality: A
Puck Movement/Transition Game: A
PP Ability: B-*
Offensive Output (Overall): A++

* This may seem absurd given that Letang outproduced Martin on the PP, but that's primarily due to Letang getting 60% more PP time than Martin. On a per minute basis, Martin outproduced Letang on the PP and - putting the stat sheet aside - Martin's decision making on the PP is much better than Letang's. I'd love to see the statistic for shorthanded chances against that resulted from Letang gaffes on the PP. Martin is a steady if unspectacular PPQB whereas Letang leaves you holding your breath when trying to force plays on the PP.

TL;DR: On a spectrum where the upper most 3 grades are "Good," "Great" and "Exceptional," Letang is good at most things and exceptional at one thing. Martin is great at most things and good at one.

Last edited by LetangInTheSO: 06-21-2013 at 02:30 AM.
LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote