View Single Post
06-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Haute Couturier
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
To me those are the most important factors in players developing. You have to have some combination of very good IQ, skating, or puck control skills. However, for a dman the absolute most important thing is their hockey sense. That is why they don't hit their prime until later. Playing D is much more about understanding the game than your athletic ability, as opposed to playing forward, which is why they peak earlier than dmen.

That's why I like the idea of Ristolainen and Morissey. Hockey IQ seem to be one of their stronger qualities, and they both are supposed to be above average skaters that handle the puck well.

Guys that are described as having great speed great hands, but lacking the hockey IQ are usually the ones that don't pan out, unless their talent is just overwhelming.
These are the two I favor at 11 as well.

Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I see a lot more of the OHL and Q than I do the WHL. Can anyone tell me why Morrissey is considered a late first by most projections? I see things like high hockey IQ, elite skating, tons of offensive skill, and good puck handling being tossed around. He has 90 PIM last year which, unless they were lazy penalties, makes me think that though he isnt big, that he has a bit of a nasty streak to him. He was also 3rd on the team in +/- which isnt an exact science obviously but if you're a bad defender it's unlikely you'll be near the top of your team. Basically what I'm asking is, whats the catch? By the way people talk about him, he sounds like someone that would be the 2nd or 3rd defenseman taken, not potentially the 7th or 8th.
His size is the issue.