View Single Post
Old
06-21-2013, 11:21 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
As long as you don't expect the same caliber of kitting that Kronwall is notorious for. Morrissey can and will hit, but expecting him to be mentioned in the same breath as open ice hitters like Kronwall and Stevens is asking a little much.

Offense, defense, size, etc... Kronwall is a reasonable Morrissey comparison.

The other "knock" on Morrissey is that he hasn't actually produced at a level equal to his skill likely because he is a younger player in Juniors terms and hasn't developed physically as one might expect he will next season. Morrissey is also a guy that is on the longer end of distance from the NHL due to physical immaturity. Think 2016-2017 as an early debut timeline. As I always caveat when talking about Morrissey around these parts (as BCF is lurking), I love Morrissey... would be happy if we selected him, but am a little more centrist in my view of him relative to the players mentioned in the same breath (Pulock, Zad). I'm higher on Nurse and Risto, lower on Morin.
Hey, I'm a big fan of Morrissey, but I'm not going to dismiss the other defensemen available. I live in London and I've seen plenty of Zadorov and I really like the big guy. I think he's a team first guy and he'll accept whatever role he's put in just so that he can be a part of the team. Those kinds of players are critical for a team's success. I also think Zadorov has a lot of untapped offensive potential that will probably get developed this 2013- 2014 season in London. I'd be happy if he were to be a Flyer at the end of the day. I'll also admit that I'm not the biggest Pulock fan, but I recognize that there's serious talent there, especially when you consider that he made the jump to defense as a 15 year old. That's a huge learning curve and he's done considerably well.

There's one player that I'm not a big fan of at all and that's Hunter Shinkaruk. I see a guy who for some strange reason just coasted last year. It was his time to be "the man" and lead the Medicine Hat Tigers and he failed. His plus minus dropped by 30 points from the previous year, he scored 12 less goals and he just didn't seem to get better. To me, that's a huge red flag. You expect players to get better every year, but he really stepped back this year and I wonder if this is a "what you see is what you get" with Shinkaruk.

I will certainly admit that I'm a big Morrissey fan and to me, he really fits a big need in the Flyers prospect pool. I know people say "you always draft best available player" or "never draft for need", but this might be the one occasion that I would like to see the Flyers gamble a bit and maybe reach a little for the guy who is supposed to go later in the first.