View Single Post
Old
06-21-2013, 01:07 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
First point is that PK was not anointed by Habs fans. Sportswriters from all over North America did. This is not All Star voting.

IMHO Subban was clearly the best all-round D this season. What some detractors refer to a over-exuberance is really a monumental desire to win. One of the hardest working and most passionate players every shift.

And to suggest that his success and noteriety might set him back is not only obviously disingenuous, but is clear psychoanalytical quackery.

PK was the best Defenceman in the NHL this year. He will be again. He is possibly the best athlete in the league, always competes at the very highest level, and what is invariably overlooked is that he is one of the most intelligent ( hockey and otherwise ) people playing hockey.

PK won't rest on his laurels. He'll work even harder to win Cups and be an HOFer. His $6.75M will be a steal.
Sportwriter don't know everything if the Norris was picked by the GMs and Coaches there would be a far different list.

I agree PK is an extremely hard worker on his aspects of his game and I wish all of the Habs' players had his and Gallagher's passion and drive but that just isn't always possible and some players you can't see it as easily.

PK still has a tendency to get over-confident and try to do too much with the puck. He can leave his teammates standing still on the opposition's blueline while he skates with the puck and enters the offensive zone with zero support or any players driving the net to help create traffic around the goalie. He needs to learn that he can draw the opposition to him creating opportunities and openings for his teammates. There have been problems in the past with him not listening to instructions given by his coaches. He has repeatedly done what he wants and sometimes gets caught with an error but he can also make good things happen because of this unpredictability and learns from the big mistakes making him better. He really improved on this part of his game this year but needs to keep moving forward.

PK has excellent hockey IQ and I hope he never stops being true to himself, I love that he's not the cookie cutter hockey player and he has a great personality, the game needs more of that.

It was a strike shortened season so I want to see a couple of full seasons before jumping to conclusions. The way PK is a constant target of the opposition and he does love it which is good on him, there's always the possibility of a major injury at any time so don't go putting him in the HOF just yet. He will need to win a few more Norris trophies and put up good numbers every year over his career to have a chance to be in the HOF but he's only turned 24 and hasn't reached his peak yet so the sky is the limit. There's no way PK will rest on his laurels and he's going to give his all to win multiple Stanley Cups. I want more players like him that thrive on the pressure of Montreal and bring it every night. I think he will be a Hab for his whole career because I don't think he wants to play anywhere else and why would he?

Just my opinion.

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote