View Single Post
Old
06-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post
The 1st and a "good" young player/prospect? Holy moley.

I'd like having Bernier but at that price I think Nonis would be better off waiting until free agency and gunning for a veteran backup for Reimer.
I don't know what Nonis is thinking but I'm going to try to comprehend the reasoning as to why they may want to pursue Bernier. Although Bernier hasn't exactly proven himself as a starter, it is difficult to say with certainty that Reimer has as well. The reason I say this is because he hasn't really had a full season yet as a starter.

Reimer's career high was 37 games in 2010-11. He appeared in 34 games last season where he was largely disappointing, and 33 games in this shortened season where he appeared to bounce back (though was still letting in some questionable goals here and there).

Of course, Bernier has been tested less, but he's slightly younger and in his limited starts, has looked very sharp in net. He's not the type of goaltender who flounders in his crease as we've seen with Reimer. Bernier always seems to be in control and never looks flustered, frustrated, or out of focus. He's a competitor and I think playing behind Quick helped him develop this part of the game.

Although it was a while back, but the last time Bernier got to play regularly as a starter was in the AHL and he put up some stellar numbers there and was one of the best netminders in the minors at that time, and at that time he was 20-21 years of age. There is a lot to like about Bernier and his potential to succeed in the NHL. I think that is what makes him so attractive to teams that are seeking a netminder to build around with the present and future in mind.