View Single Post
Old
10-16-2006, 09:03 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
I concur about political science. It's a humanities degree. Useless unless you are committed to the field and really go the whole way with it with HIGH marks (and have the dynamic personality to go with it). Get ready for some strict scientific approaches as well. It's not all sitting around chatting about George Bush - there's some tedious scientific evaluation of diplomacy that goes into it. They don't teach it straight like they used to. You have to talk with people already in the field.

Most of your work should be talking with a counsellor, studying career guides and looking for future trends (accounting, actuaries, etc.). Depends on what you want. As an older person with no money, I strongly suggest you start early and go for the money while there are still openings in the real estate market and you can optimize your salary by purchasing real estate (opportunities won't be there for long in the city, then what are you gonna do smart guy, live in the boonies?). You could by paying $1,000 a month for something you own instead of handing over rent money for no reason. Also, if you do not start an RRSP in your 20s when you get your job, you are a fool.

Again, depends on what you see yourself doing. If you don't know, then it doesn't really matter anyway. You can get your degree in anything and the job you take will be based on your personality/capabilities/experience and you can work your way up to a middle manager somewhere.

Or, if you are personable and have passion, business is a good way to go because it leaves the aforementioned option open but if you have the intelligence and drive ot handle it, can open up more to you (entrepreneur, higher up position at a firm, etc.).

If you are really intelligent, none of this matters. I'm assuming you are not because you wouldn't be asking....

In which case, I would talk with a counsellor(s) and really dig deep into what you want to do.

Any nimrod can pull a 2.7 average at university. If you can't, that means you are gonna be the help.

If you have any scientific aptitude, that's the way to go btw (but I assume you don't because you wouldn't be on here asking these questions).

Poli Sci or History are good choices if you want to move on to become a lawyer. In Quebec, you need to be bilingual to be a lawyer obviously and you need to be pretty intelligent and on the ball. You also need to have an edge to your personality, be able to handle people, not be the type that gets pushed around, and have a firm grasp on logic (scientific logic - the very first course you should take at university and work hard at; not common sense like the garbage man--who actually make pretty solid cash I think...), and you have to be able to do that in both languages. You have to thrive on conflict, depending on the type of law you go into. Or else, you have to be the type that likes to do research, and hours upon hours of reading and logical thinking within a legal framework (even if you don't entirely know what that is yet).

If that's not you, that's ok too.

Whatever you do, talk to several people who know, and make sure to talk to some professionals to give you an idea of what the career is really like day-to-day. Don't waste your time at school to find that the career you've imagined is really a boring grind.

If you have any mathematic or scientific ability, that is the way to go for the cash, though those careers can be extremely boring (you'll have to ask someone). But you'll make the cash if you can stand it. Big opportunities for accountants in the future as I understand it. But again, you have to want to do it, or you'll fail.

A couple things before you go to university you can work on: reading skills, mneumonic devices, and essay skills. You will not be able to slide on this stuff. There is a LOT of reading and you have to know what reading you are supposed to spend time on and absorb and what reading you are supposed to skim over quickly, otherwise you will never finish it. Also, if you are a slow reader, you need to get a book about reading and find tricks to get faster. It's essential in life to ingest information QUICKLY. Mneumonic devices are shorthand metaphors you create that help you remember huge chunks of information. They can be symbols or acronyms where each letter stands for something, etc. Essay skills are essential. The construct of an essay is VERY precise (and easy too). You can't just write your ideas down with no structure because you'll get scorched by the professor's red pen.

The other pitfall students often fall into is that they think that essays and exams are about their own opinion. Nobody wants your opinion. Essays and exams are about you finding the established opinions of experts and comparing them to each other to provide something new. That becomes your opinion. If your opinion is not grounded on expert opinion, then you don't really HAVE an opinion do you? You're just guessing otherwise.

I've been harsh, but it's all love. Nothing like the buzz of learning and growing. It's the best feeling in the world (well ,almost...). Just put some work into it before you make the plunge and you'll do great.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 10-17-2006 at 01:57 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote