View Single Post
Old
06-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Brady Skjei

vCash: 500
Haven't read all of this/been active in the discussion, so forgive me if I'm repeating what many have said or if this is all common knowledge, but this is my take on the offseason..

First off, asking Vancouver to trade Bieksa would be the equivalent of asking us to trade Girardi if he had 2 extra years on his contract.

We need to bolster our 4th line. Pyatt is too slow and Asham is to inconsistent/gets hurt too much to be confident with. A player like Eric Nystrom would be perfect on the wing with Boyle and Dorsett. Energy and the ability to go into the dirty areas and win the battles that we've been losing for the past year.

IMO, I think we should strengthen the top 6 enough (via either trades or free agency) to get Hagelin and Callahan onto the 3rd line. With a center like Lindberg, they have a combination of elite speed (Hagelin), grit (Callahan), defensive awareness (all 3) and the ability to produce offensively. Lindberg hasn't played in NA at all yet but from what we've been hearing he should be ready.

Kreider should get an expanded role with AV and I think we'll see him break out this year. He's the type of player who plays to the level of his linemates; of course he wasn't scoring when Brian Boyle and Arron Asham were his linemates, but he has shown flashes that with Stepan/Nash he can make an impact on the game. Those flashes will turn into a consistent effort eventually.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Brassard-xxxx
Hagelin-Lindberg-Callahan
Nystrom-Boyle-Dorsett

If Kreider isn't ready to play with Stepan and Nash, switch him and Hagelin.

Who slots in on that 2nd line RW? That spot can be on the left too, depending on if Zucc can play the right side. Do we trade for someone? Do we re-sign Clowe? Try Briere? Do we sign someone available who would fit in better on the 3rd line and move Callahan up to the 2nd? Lot of options.

Not to mention we'll most likely be starting the year without Hags and Callahan..