Old
06-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
I couldn't disagree more with this. I think it's the opposite. I do agree that he is an inconsistent scorer and hasn't lived up to his potential in that aspect. However, I think he is a valuable player that consistently did good things for the Oilers this season.

This article on why he deserves to be in the Oilers' lineup is a good summary:

Magnus Paajarvi is competing with Smyth, Jones, Eager, Petrell, and Hartikainen for a roster spot. Compared to his roster competitors Paajarvi:
Is superior at shot attempt differential (4th on the team)
Plays superior opponents
Has the most positive influence on the shot attempt differential of his line mates (one of the best on the Oilers actually)
Allows less shots on the PK per minute played (2nd best on the team)
Allows the least amount of shots against on the whole team, let alone his roster competitors.

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2013/03/why-...y-woodguy.html

--

I think the Oilers would be the ones taking the biggest risk in this deal.
The majority of the advanced stats where he ranks above players, he ranks above pretty crappy bottom 6 players + Gagner and Yakupov. Then again, that's basically the majority of the team, but the majority of the team is pretty poor at forward. As I said, he's become pretty solid defensively. Perhaps what you bolded in my comment was a bit harsh, but I see him likely to be an inconsistent non-factor as a top 6 player. I consider it more likely he becomes a decent bottom 6 player than a positive top 6 player.