View Single Post
Old
06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Noob616

vCash: 500
He's not going anywhere. NHL GM's don't trade away team captain productive two way 25-25 forwards for a Milan Lucic fetish.

5M for what Gionta does is not a bad price. A bit of an overpayment now but who cares, there's only one more year of his contract. It's not an albatross we need to get rid of for a 5th round pick. Of the little 3 (Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta), Gionta's been far and away the best player and I don't know why people are so quick to get rid of him. He's a perfect fit on Plekanec's wing, good two way player and we can't just pencil in Gallagher and expect him to do the same thing Gionta's done. Besides that, I don't really know why we want to get rid of him after 14G in 48 games, that's really a pretty good rate considering how tough his matchups are playing on Pleks' wing.

Some perspective would be nice among the hyperbole. Gionta's contract isn't going to wreck our cap and sink this team to being a bunch of useless smurfs. If we had just signed him to a 5 year at 5M per extension today, then I'd get the frustration. But this guy is a team captain and great leader good for 25 goals and solid two way play, and his contract is up at the end of the year. He's not being traded and we're a better team with him in the lineup. Frankly, I'd love to resign him to play on the 3rd line for a couple more years. His top 6 utility is coming to an end but I don't see why he can't still be a good 3rd liner (I know, smurfs, soft, Bruins, Lucic, etc etc.)

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote