View Single Post
Old
06-23-2013, 02:55 PM
The Doors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
There's this illusion that less size equals more injuries, as if players break down because they're not big enough. Untrue. Yes, Gionta was hurt. But aside from him, our injured guys included Pacioretty, Bourque, Prust, Emelin and Eller - all big guys.

Meanwhile, Gallagher and Desharnais stayed healthy and strong.

Size is important, but only in terms of bigger players being able to clear away the other guys from our net and be immovable rebound machines in front of the other team's net. Size wins games by functioning within a offensive/defensive system, not because big guys are harder to injure and can beat you up.
I somewhat agree with you, but I don't think that's entirely the case. I think there's something to be said for the team needing many more strong, physical players plugged into the lineup in many areas. I want s playoff team not one that excels in February. Bourque is the only intimidating regular with top six skill and they nearly lost him for the year. The guys on this team that are supposed to play that way straight up don't. There is such an obvious lack of a big forward on the top six especially after Cole turned into Ryder turned into nothing presently.

It would be nice to see a roster full of collective team toughness and strength for once instead of watching the few physical players on the team try but get get overworked. Desharnais and Gionta in the top six for a whole season is disastrous against a physical playoff defence. The other team in the East will work hard to improve their weaknesses while Bergevin signs a #7 defenceman to be Therrien's #4 and a beer league scoring leader to a four year deal.

It's alright to have some small players, even some "soft" players but they should be the exception whereas on the Habs they are the norm.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote