View Single Post
Old
06-23-2013, 02:38 PM
The Doors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Kinda' sounds like we're saying the same thing. I want to add more physical players for the same reason you do: To win games in the playoffs. The only thing that changes in the playoffs -- as we're seeing -- is the refs back off further and further from the rulebook and let the bar for borderline hits sink lower and lower. Basically, if the cops have deserted their posts and it's mob-rules, I want the Habs to give as good as they get. For that we need more size. Again, I don't think adding those extra pounds and inches will prevent injuries, but I want those extra pounds and inches on our mob to counter the incursions from other team's mob. For me, it's all about functional-size that prevents scoring chances on us and creates chances on them.

See, if it's all about the playoffs it's ironic that we're drooling over UFAs like Nathan Horton and Ryan Clowe, who have been compromised during the playoffs because of chronic injuries. Big & tough often has nothing to do with durable.

Now Bickell is another story!
Okay, well put. I think a problem with the makeup of the team is that because all of the skill players are pretty, um... Non-intimidating the responsibility falls to the role players. Last year we had a neutered White and sluggish Morn and Armstrong, 62 year old Halpern and Dumont aka Lapierre Jr. It's gotta get better or else Prust will get hurt again. Bourque gets dropped by Orr, etc. I defended the players on the 4th for a lot of the year but the other guys on the board were right, they weren't good enough for what this team needs from those positions.

For the record Horton is an ape and Clowe is molasses, you're right on the money size doesn't equal health and durability. But the proper mix aka a couple of Bickels is perfect thinking. Because it doesn't look like the team is going to have the coveted big nasty 3rd line shutdown centre or a psychotic beast on defence to punish other teams forwards, MB is gonna have to try and get creative in solving this problem or next year will be a repeat of this year.

Now we obviously have a **** load of picks and some great fits in the pipeline (tinordi, bealieu) but I'm still heavy on the trade market for a guy like Klesla, or someone like him. A vet shutdown guy to replace Emelin and give added depth when he's back in December.

Oops, this thread is supposed to be about something else so I'd better make this post relevant: Gionts has been made useless because Gallagher developed so quick and while he is a great player it has made the forward group too small with too many bodies that still deserve ice time and roster spots. Gionta and DD can't belong on a contending team with a makeup like the Habs currently have.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote