View Single Post
06-23-2013, 03:47 PM
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Originally Posted by Afinogretzky View Post
Yeah. I disagree. He was lights out as rookie. Regressed a little as a sophomore but finished with a great series against Philly. Expected a lot from him in 2012 but was fairly mediocre and injured most of the year. Then last year he was a baby giraffe.

Myers isn't a no #1 dman. Doesn't have the IQ for it. Skates well for a big man, but is there anything else you can say he does well? He's looks horrifically awkward at times, doesn't have a great shot, has to manufacture toughness, isn't great positionally.

I don't care that he's only 23. He's played 4 seasons, and even though Chara took longer to emerge, the only reason we even use that comparison still is because they're both ****ing tall. Other than that, they have nothing in common, as Myers plays more like Brian Rafalski. I'd trade him for a top 15 pick right now. Draft a centerman, and 2 of Ristoleinen/Nurse/Zadorov. I think we'd be better for it.
Myers had a bad stretch last season then got over it and started on a very good stretch, then he got hurt. If it wasn't such a short season the most likely turn of events would've been that the bad stretch ended up being something like 1/4 of the season. We've seen it happen before with slow starts for him. That's not to excuse his awful stretches but it doesn't make him awful overall.

Myers does have a good shot. He does a better job creating offense with it than the vast majority of defensemen.

Chara didn't play very tough when he came into the league and wasn't half the skater Myers is. Not that I think Myers will end up anything like Chara.

Myers right now is a top 4 defenseman. Most of the players in the top 15 will not become more than top 4 defensemen. There's nothing remotely uncommon in Myer's career path. I have questions about his hockey IQ as well, let's face it... it isn't ever going to be great. Maybe he won't be a #1 elite franchise defenseman, but it's possible, and he could easily become a very good top-pairing defenseman.

Giving him up for poor value is a major mistake. He's the most valuable asset in our entire organization. If you can't maximize it, then you're ruining the franchise.

Finally, can we stop overrating his rookie season? He wasn't great defensively and has on the whole improved physically and defensively (when his head's in the game). He produced more offense and had a lesser role defensively thanks to Tallinder.

Last edited by Paxon: 06-23-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote