View Single Post
06-23-2013, 05:15 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Cole wasn't signed by MB.

And again, the playoffs are called totally differently. That's why a guy like Pronger would lead his teams to the finals year after year. Whistles go away and teams with size benefit from it.

Look at the Chicago Bruins series. Not a whole lot of nifty passing plays... just guys standing in front of the net paying the price to score. Rebounds, screenings, deflections... Chicago was looking out of it until Toews decided to pay the price out there in front of Chara and then they're up in the series.

Individually our smaller players are good. But it's about balance and we need more of it. We just added another smurf now in Gallagher. No way we get rid of him so what do we do? We've got another guy we need to protect now. We have to get bigger overall.
I know it's not common for people to get traded shortly after the GM signs them but it's not unheard of either. Bergevin doesn't seem like the person that would let his ego get in the way of doing the right thing. But admittedly that's more my gut feeling than anything else.

As far as Gionta goes, he fits your description of playoff hockey. His size doesn't stop him from producing in the playoffs, people always remember Cammy's playoff heroics on our run to the ECF and forget that Gionta was scoring a lot as well.

We added Gallagher last season and as I said we were 3rd in scoring. He's another guy that fits your description of what it takes to win in the playoffs.

If the idea is too get players who go drive the net and are willing to pay the price then I'm keeping guys like Gionta and Gallagher. If you replace Gionta with a guy whose bigger but is only going to score 15 goals next season then we will take a step back. We should try and get bigger but we can't sacrifice too much skill in doing so.

Getting Pacioretty to drive the net instead of playing on the perimeter would do a lot more to help our scoring in the playoffs then anything we can do via UFA. Hopefully his perimeter play last season was caused by nagging injuries and a condensed schedule.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote