View Single Post
Old
06-24-2013, 09:52 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That lack of depth was due to not having offense anywhere outside of the top-6 who were, for the most part, effectively keyed on and shutdown. Not an uncommon occurrence in the playoffs for any team, although something you hope to avoid. You need your 3rd or 4th line to be able to break through.

Greg Campbell, by the way, was a consistent 4th in Bruins ES TOI/G among centers who actually played center (as in, Peverley and Seguin are listed at C, but didn't play C for much of the year). That makes him a 4th liner. He took the 3rd most faceoffs at even strength, but Chris Kelly had a higher rate of faceoffs per game, he just missed 14 of them. Campbell is a 4th liner. His role on the penalty kill doesn't change that fact.

As I've stated, I have no issue with signing Nystrom. We just need to make sure we're addressing the bigger issues too.
They need a Top-6 LW, 3rd line C, 3rd line RW. One of those spots can be filled by MZA. I am hoping Lindberg or Miller take that 3c spot.

Besides that, they need a "4th line" LW who can contribute as a defensive forward, provide energy and play on the PK. I have a problem strictly classifying guys who play 10-12 minutes a night consistently as 4th liners. But I agree with the premise of the above.