View Single Post
Old
06-24-2013, 11:20 AM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
There's no way in hell we're going to find a better 2nd line center than Gagner. I'm happy to keep him.

He's played for us through a ton of brutal seasons without loosing his commitment to improving.

Nobody should have been shocked over what he accomplished last year. More like we should've been a little surprised that it took him that long to have a season like that. I think it would be fair to suggest that he was rushed into the NHL.

He was believed to have a very high level of potential when he was drafted. Now that he's fulfilling his potential we'd be nuts to not try to lock him up for 5+ years. I'd be so excited if we managed to sign him for 5M per year.
I agree. I am a Gags fan. I'd prefer him locked up under 5M... I don't think his 48gm breakout season justifies $5M+, especially if... like I expect... he wants to stick around as a part of this young core.

All of that said... I do not put it past MacT to deal him to Chicago for some proven, gritty depth (not sure what the return would be) and then move up in the draft to ensure one of the top 4 centers... all of whom have "size" on their side.

I agree he would be crazy to fill in #2C with question marks... which is why I'd expect one of the confirmed trades to be with Carolina for 5th overall. I doubt that Stu and MacT see Monahan or Barkov as question marks.

The real difficulty will be in filling out #3 & 4C with solid vet shutdown guys. We will absolutely need that if both Gags and Horc are gone.

Again... I expect MacT is on this like a fat-kid-on-a-smartie. (sorry... I know that's off-colour, but it is a funny saying)