Old
06-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
You are very comfortable arguing Oshie's best seasons are the norm and Vanek's down seasons are the norm, otherwise 15 points in offense is absurd. We're talking about a player who has never played a full season, who has hit 50 points once in his career, and who Vanek outscored by 21 points this year despite his own injuries. Vanek had as many goals as Oshie had points this season. Oshie isn't on the same planet as Vanek. I swear that people forget that you have to score in hockey to win. It's actually the whole point of the sport.

Ville Leino is a puck possession player with years left on his contract at a similar cap hit. Anybody willing to trade Vanek for Leino? Oh, it's an absurd idea? No kidding.

We also have Corey Tropp coming up, who can play a physical, puck possesion, defensively responsible game and chip in 35 points without having to trade Vanek for it, in case you forgot.
I agree that the difference in production between Oshie and Vanek is substantial. Regarding Oshie, though, his totals are not constant due to games missed, but his PPG rate is basically the same every season. I guess in a way that's not entirely positive as there's no progression production-wise, but it's also unlikely that he dips below that amount.

Oshie is a completely different player than Vanek. He plays defense and forechecks. He's a good player. There's no use acting like you're going to get a player as good as Vanek for Vanek unless it's a player with the same contract situation, which is a very unlikely deal to exist out there.

The bottom line is when you trade Vanek, what do you want? A pick? A prospect? A roster player? If it's a roster player, you probably aren't going to get anything better than Oshie.

Now, I understand you'd probably just prefer not to trade him at all, but that should be beside the point. Darcy claims he wants to extend Vanek. If that's true, he's not going to trade Vanek unless Vanek won't sign an extension (or if a deal comes and blows him away). If that happens, then Vanek has to be traded now or at the deadline. So then it comes back to what type of return you prefer.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote