View Single Post
06-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Zemgus Da Gawd
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
You are very comfortable arguing Oshie's best seasons are the norm and Vanek's down seasons are the norm, otherwise 15 points in offense is absurd. We're talking about a player who has never played a full season, who has hit 50 points once in his career, and who Vanek outscored by 21 points this year despite his own injuries. Vanek had as many goals as Oshie had points this season. Oshie isn't on the same planet as Vanek. I swear that people forget that you have to score in hockey to win. It's actually the whole point of the sport.
Oshie was an all-situations checking liner for most of his time in St. Louis, and was also the most purely-talented offensive player on his line with Backes and a revolving door of RWs. He'd be playing the most purely-offensive role with the best offensive linemates of his career here. I'm comparing what Oshie has the potential to bring to what Vanek actually brought his past few seasons here because of their age difference.

I'd rather have three 50-60 point players who control possession and win their matchup than one of the most-abused first lines in the league in its own zone.

Ville Leino is a puck possession player with years left on his contract at a similar cap hit. Anybody willing to trade Vanek for Leino? Oh, it's an absurd idea? No kidding.
Herp derp, I have no idea how to adjust for role and think Marcus Foligno's role from the tail end of 2012 is the same thing as what Dustin Brown does with Kopitar.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote