Old
06-24-2013, 03:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I was one of the founding writers for THW back in the day. I left at a time it was hard for me to commit to so much on my plate at the same time, but a number of the guys who I started with are now writing professionally for various papers, news sources, and media outlets; not small ones either.

I also know of Reznik, and I can assure you that he puts as much time and effort into research as any professional.

The problem lies more in the access to information than anything else. Beat writers have access to organizational tools; at least moreso than amateurs. I will say this though. Nobody, not one soul, outside of the organization knows how the team ranks players going into draft day; writers included. They may be able to guess, but their guess is often as founded as any of yours.

All of these lists are pure speculation, but I agree with Reznik on some points; particularly that Morrissey and Ristolainen could very readily go off the board higher than expected. They could easily go higher than guys like Zadorov and Pulock. Nurse could also fall.

These are all things that we have discussed on these boards. It seems odd to discredit him just for thinking the same way that some of us do even if he was bold enough to put in on paper.
I think the reason for the skepticism is for the reasons you just said. These guys don't have the resources that real scouts and beat writers have. I'm not trying to harsh on these guys or anything because like I said, I read THW and I wrote for a site similar to THW in college. The author may well be very well versed in hockey, but I am skeptical of his knowledge of a lot of these players. The guy probably knows more than me, I don't doubt that, but compared to others out there, I would question his credibility. I am not saying he is "wrong" or should not have posted this, I am just saying that I am not reading these rankings the same way I would read the ISS rankings. Always good to have another perspective on it, but this doesn't exactly hold a lot of weight.

Again, I am not trying to like hurt anyone's feelings or anything, but you are telling me that a guy writing a blog about hockey for THW ranking a guy like #74 Anton Slepyshev from the KHL has seen enough of him to actually make this a credible ranking? At least if it is someone like MacKenzie or someone from ISS or CSS or what have you, they have actually seen these guys play. Maybe the author of this post has seen these guys, but I am skeptical of that, I don't think it is unreasonable to be skeptical of that. These rankings should in no way be on the same level as other rankings.