View Single Post
Old
06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
potsiev2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think the reason for the skepticism is for the reasons you just said. These guys don't have the resources that real scouts and beat writers have. I'm not trying to harsh on these guys or anything because like I said, I read THW and I wrote for a site similar to THW in college. The author may well be very well versed in hockey, but I am skeptical of his knowledge of a lot of these players. The guy probably knows more than me, I don't doubt that, but compared to others out there, I would question his credibility. I am not saying he is "wrong" or should not have posted this, I am just saying that I am not reading these rankings the same way I would read the ISS rankings. Always good to have another perspective on it, but this doesn't exactly hold a lot of weight.

Again, I am not trying to like hurt anyone's feelings or anything, but you are telling me that a guy writing a blog about hockey for THW ranking a guy like #74 Anton Slepyshev from the KHL has seen enough of him to actually make this a credible ranking? At least if it is someone like MacKenzie or someone from ISS or CSS or what have you, they have actually seen these guys play. Maybe the author of this post has seen these guys, but I am skeptical of that, I don't think it is unreasonable to be skeptical of that. These rankings should in no way be on the same level as other rankings.

you do realize guys like mackenzie get there info from scouts... mackenzie has seen some of the TOP guys but he's not out scouting ivan drodeztky in uzbekinstin russia.... most of these sites just gather up scouting reports and videos from around the internet and take educated guesses at what these players could translate into based on size/speed/age/IQ... after watching 22 years of hockey i can judge a player pretty well based on a few small videos around the net and watching a game or two... a good hockey player isn't hard to pick out and most NHL draft boards may be similar but they're all different.... ranking these guys is different for every scout