View Single Post
Old
06-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
I saw *NO* to all 3 and I think USA Hockey needs to take a page from USA Basketball.

Who's been the coach of Team USA for basketball the last few olympics + world championships? Coach K. Who's never coached professionally at all and has been a very successful college coach.

I'd like to see USA Hockey go with a college coach.

Now there would be some obvious issues because of having to leave your NCAA program for the Olympics...but we see it in the World Junior Championships where currently the Canadian coach is also the coach of the Kitchener Rangers.
There isn't any college hockey coach that has the stature of Coach K. To deal with that many big names and big egos, you need to have to be respected by everyone in the room. Coach K was, but there isn't wouldn't be any equivalent in College Hockey. The closest you could get would be York or Parker (Parker might actually have an advantage now that he's retired and would be able to spend months preparing for the tournament), but neither have the name recognition of Coach K. Guarentee if team USA were to name either of those guys, or any college coach, 95% of the sporting world would go "Who?"

Hopefully Lavi gets it. Would make it a lot more fun to pull for team USA given there likely won't be a single Flyer on the team for the 2nd straight Olympics. I'd think he would be a better choice than either Torts or Bylsma.

Coppy is online now   Reply With Quote