View Single Post
06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
I Believe
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
One losing season in their rookie year is a losing culture? Thats an incredibly lame counter.

I'm still utterly amazed anyone still thinks teams intentionally set out to suck bad enough to draft high for several years in a row. They don't. Its due to one of two things; Crappy ownership/crappy management or the team is financially strapped. Sometimes both are in play. None of those teams really get out of that rut unless something changes as was the case with both the Pens and Hawks. Plus their good fortune to win draft lotteries to get one of the studs on their teams.

You know what happens when things like crappy owners/management or a teams financial situation doesn't change? Those teams continues to pick high and they continues to lose.

As is the case with the follow teams;

*1 playoff appearance in 12 years of existence.
*11 top ten picks
*5 of them were in the top 5.

*2 playoff appearances in the last 13 years
*9 top 10 picks
* 5 of those picks were in the top 5

WPG/ATL franchise
* 2 playoffs appearances in 13 years
*10 top 10 picks
*5 of those picks in the top 5

NY Isles
*5 playoff appearances in 13 years
*8 top 10 picks
*6 of thsoe picks in the top 5

Yet none of these teams are anywhere near being Cup contenders nor will they be any time soon and they are losing cultures. There are other teams with not quite as drastic a run of sucking that have picked high a few times and have gone no where as well. But based on the arguments of some on here these teams should be dynasties by now.

The reality is the Pens and Hawks situations were basically lucky flukes and situations that broke perfectly for each franchises. They're not repeatable scenarios. The sooner posters realize this the sooner they will stop clinging to a fantasy.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant its not directed at you specifically. I just used your post as a jumping off point.
I think the Oilers bit the bullet and completely gutted the roster on purpose.

I also think that the Isles are in a pretty good spot moving forward even with a crazy owner. I think Garth Snow has gone through learning pains and has the team making some good moves lately.

While I don't think Regier really plans on drafting 1st or 2nd overall three years in a row, I do think he has accepted that Miller & Vanek want out and that means remaking the core of the team.

And with that will likely come a season or two more of bad results on the ice.

The floundering of teams like Columbus and Florida (both of whom might look a lot better in a year or two) had to do with having a bad GM.

Perhaps the Sabres flounder until Regier is replaced....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote