View Single Post
Old
06-25-2013, 04:24 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Pyatt took a 3 month vacation this year. He was decent at the beginning and decent at the end and that's about it. He doesn't pk (a third liner needs to find ways of being useful)--he hits some (at least the stats say so) but the impression more often than not is was he even playing?--personally I'd get rid of him. I like Tootoo but I don't think that avenue is worthwhile. Rangers like most other teams could use a younger version of Tootoo--one who was more versatile. Seriously your bottom liners should score once in a while--they should be good defensively--should be able to do grunt work in the dirty areas and be able to pk. At least some of them should be tough and at least one (better two) very good dropping the gloves.

We've spent too much time, energy and cap space the last several years chasing around goal scorers and guys like Richards. Gaborik had two really good seasons for us--he had two half assed seasons. I'd call him mercurial--or not all that dependable over the long run. Nash is giving me some of the same feelings. Richards looked like a shell this year of the so so Richards of last year.

Chicago, Boston are two teams that develop their players better than us--sometimes it's a matter of being patient--sometimes it's a matter of knowing when to cut bait with one of them. Statistically guys like Toews, Bergeron, Krejci are hardly superstars-- they are excellent players but not even necessarily guys you think of as legit 1st liners on a good many teams--yet these guys came up with their teams and are their leaders. Rangers have a bunch of these guys as well--Callahan, Staal, Girardi--you can see it in younger guys like McDonagh and Stepan as well. They are not necessarily great players but they're low maintenance. You can count on getting good and consistent performances from them game after game--not necessarily something you can say about Gaborik or Nash. That makes them in my eyes more valuable than Gaborik or Nash. Boston and Chicago each seem to have 15 guys like that. That's why they win.