View Single Post
Old
06-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Torts was begging for more offense at the end of the 2012 playoffs. Sather got it for him. Nothing changed.
Torts wanted more offensive depth. Glen Sather, the teflon GM, traded depth away. Quite the opposite to Torts' request.

Quote:
The true fall of the team this past year was Tortorella expecting square pegs to fit into round holes. Sather got him a team with more skill, and Torts wanted them to play the way the 11-12 team did. It was a terrible decision on the coaches part. I don't see how the team at the start of the '13 season on paper was a team destined to be made into a 6-goalie team.
How was this team more skilled, please do tell me. They had Taylor Pyatt, Derek Dorsett and Brian Boyle playing as a regular unit on the 3rd line. Sure in terms of top end talent, they got Nash, whoopity-doo. Nash is not the type of player you destroy the team's bottom 6 depth for and Glen was deluded into thinking he would pass along fine without depth. Overall, the team lost a ton of talent and heart last offseason.

Quote:
Loaded with speed, decent enough depth, and a plethora of two-way defensemen. Block shots, play below the goal line, or get traded/benched.

This year's team could have been more. It still frustrates me.
Loaded with speed, not enough brains. Speed, physicality and size are rather useless if you can't read plays and generate offense. Torts had to retort to shot blocking system because his players weren't smart enough to create plays in the offensive zone.