View Single Post
Old
06-25-2013, 06:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
It's easy to think like that, but let's face it: the hawks made more than just one good pick, and that's the real difference between us.

Keith, Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Crawford, Bolland, Saad, Hjalmarsson, Niemi (undrafted fa), Byfuglien, Bickell ...etc. The list goes on. It wasn't just one pick or player (as prolific as some of them are individually).

Toews is great, and no doubt he'd make a difference, but who knows how things might have actually turned out. I think that even if we took Toews instead of Johnson, and drafted everyone else the same (Oshie, Backes, Perron...etc.)...we'd probably still be in a similar position right now.

Chicago drafted extremely well as a whole for both of their cup teams, they then topped it all off with players like Sharp and Hossa to complete the picture (I will say we're probably in a similar position...it'll be much harder for us to get that last piece or two though).

End result: Two rings.
The key difference to me was the Hossa signing. The team was young and dangerous (like the Blues are) but signing another high-end forward in his prime, with SCF experience, is what put them over the top. They never had anything special at goaltending (and I thought that would hold them back this season) but they were good enough to win the Cup. Heck, they even jettisoned Niemi after the first win.

The Blues need their "Hossa signing". Was it the Bouwmeester trade? I think that's a high profile move that should pay off a lot...but they still need to find one more high-end forward. Tarasenko doesn't have to be Patrick Kane, but he does need to find consistency as a young player. I still think one more player in their prime who wants to win a Cup needs to be added. Looking at the current roster/salary, I believe Armstrong will have to make a trade to make that happen, and it won't be in this off-season.