View Single Post
Old
06-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Blueblood9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
If Carolina wants Marc, the Jordan trade is the measuring stick of their offer as far as I'm concerned.

Jordan Staal (with 1 year remaining on his contract prior to UFA) returned the 8th overall pick in the 2012 draft, Brandon Sutter (youngish 3rd/2nd line center), Brian Dumoulin (7.5c prospect according to HF at the time).

In return for Marc I'd be looking for something along the lines of the 5th overall pick in the 2013 draft + Jamie McBain (youngish 3rd/2nd pairing defenseman who struggled a bit this year) + Victor Rask or equivalent prospect (~7.5c prospect according to HF).

Without the eye issue, Marc is a more valuable piece than Jordan. However, the difference due to the eye concerns is made up in the fact that Marc is under contract for two years with a great cap hit rather than one year. The 5th overall pick this year is definitely more valuable than the 8th last year, but Brandon Sutter is also definitely more valuable than McBain.

Our defense is undoubtedly worse this year after such a move, but we would be picking up two valuable pieces for the future in the 5th overall and Rask. However, the following is nothing to sneeze at:

McDonagh - Girardi
Del Zotto - Stralman
Moore - McBain
Eminger/other 7th dman

If Carolina doesn't want to pay that price, I'm more than happy to have Marc on our roster. In fact, I hope he stays on it long-term.
I whole heartedly agree with this trade and Defensive roster. The rangers played with the same if not worse defensive pairing for most of this season. If we can get that return for staal i say pull the trigger