Old
06-26-2013, 08:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I don't think it will be that much. Is there a better defenseman than Coburn available? Coburn gets killed by Flyers fans but he is still a good top 4 defenseman on a reasonable contract. Teams aren't trading those, and really the Flyers shouldn't either. The only other quality defenseman I could see offered in a package to move up is Yandle, which would be an out of character move by Maloney. Carolina wants help now and has an internal budget so you can cross guys off like Myers from Buffalo.
But the problem isn't simply that Carolina needs defense and there may not be better guys available. Coburn + 11 I imagine would NOT be the best offer they receive. Coburn + 11 + next year's first? Maybe, maybe not. Carolina may need defense, but if someone offers them two first rounders and an NHL roster player (or more), it wouldn't be as cut and dried. When you are talking about a guy like Drouin falling, the number of the pick is less significant. Yes going from 11 to 5 normally won't cost you that much, but going from 11 to 5 to pick Drouin, when likely a good chunk of other teams would be trying to move up, is going to cost a pretty penny. One that I don't think the Flyers could or should match. For instance, I would be willing to bet that a team like Calgary or CBJ with multiple first rounders would easily come up with a better offer to get a guy like Drouin.