View Single Post
Old
10-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Actually I am aware, and I am also aware this works both ways. We don't get to see his minus after checking someone at the blueline, getting out of position and someone coming in to score.

If you look at the facts on nhl.com, 5v5 icetime per game for a dman is typically close to double the amount of time of PP and PK time per game combined. If this is the case, wouldn't it be logical to assume that the +/- stat is actually somewhat important since that is where the majority of your play is? Great, you're a defenseman and you get points on the powerplay. To me, I'd rather have a good defensive 5v5 defenseman any day of the week than to have a defensive liability for most of the time he is playing. Think about it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Besides, like a lot of Ryder bashers said on this board - anyone can score on the PP when they are put out there all the time. They were concerned about his 5v5 play. Amazing how things change when it suits their argument.

As for who would we pick up? Not sure to tell you the truth, you are right - defensemen are scarce and are worth a lot of money. There is a reason for this however and if you think you are smarter than 30 GM's in the league then maybe you should apply. GOOD defensemen are the 2nd most important thing on your team, next to a goalie. That is why they are paid the premium amount and why GM's don't let them go when they have them. They are worth every dime that is paid to them and the GM's know it. Suffice to say however, 2.4 million per should be able to get you a half decent stay at home defensemen if he should come up. Also, there is the possibility of trading that has to be considered.

I don't pretend to know all the answers, but one thing I do know is that Souray is terrible in a defensive situation. Sure he has a shot, sure he is physical, and maybe he'll score 30-40 points this year - but he constantly causes problems in his own end when he is on the ice, especially when paired with Rivet. One thing that hasn't even been brought up is the amount of turnovers and failed clearing attempts that don't lead to a goal being scored, but keeps the pressure in the Canadiens zone when they could be at the other end of the ice. Watch the games and you will see. At the end of the day, I am a "build the team from the net out" type of guy and my idea of a defenseman is defense first, scoring optional. That's what the forwards are for. Keep the puck out of harms way and I'll be happy. And with the new NHL, defenseman are even more important than ever before.

Again, my 2 cents.

Well last night there was more special teams play than 5 on 5 play. It kind of changes things, especially your point.

p.s. in the new NHL scoring from your D is more important than ever, another reason to keep Souray, and not Rivet after the season

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote